HFMSNJ Shared Resources
This page is intended as an index of shared information among members. This information can be guidelines for procedures, forms, diagrams, pictures, or anything that conveys data for assisting healthcare facility managers in doing their jobs.
The categories for this data are listed below as a hyperlinked table of contents. Click on any category to jump directly to that section where you will find another list of hyperlinks pointing to the pieces of information described.
Members are encouraged to send in items they believe will be useful and of interest to other members.
Instructions for submitting NFPA 10 Public Comments for Fire Extinguisher Inspection Frequency
The Joint Commission – Equipment Management Program
Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Regulations in NJ
- NJSA 34 Boiler Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Law
- NJAC 12-90 Boiler Pressure Vessel Regs Expires January 2025
Life Safety Management
- Electronic Door Locks Life Safety Vs Security
- Sprinkler Exceptions – 2000 Life Safety Code
- Wall-Door Rating Chart — The following table may be used as a guide in determining wall and door requirements in EXISTING Healthcare & Ambulatory Healthcare occupancies
- Locking doors in Healthcare occupancies due to clinical needs.
- CMS Waiver Requirement for Extending Damper Testing to Six Years
- Checklist for Healthcare Suites
- Healthcare Interpretations Task Force
Hazardous Materials & Waste Management
- Colors and Marking Symbols for Fill Ports (Petroleum Substances)
- Underground Storage Tank Spill Containment Form
- Decontamination Policy 1
- Decontamination Policy 2
- Decontamination Policy 3
- EPA Self Audit Documents
Statement of Conditions
- Decision path deciding type of facility — Determine whether an occupancy is a health care occupancy, an ambulatory health care facility or an occupancy other than health care.
Unless otherwise noted, these are presentations made at monthly member meetings. They are listed in chronological order with the most recent first.
November 2020 — Presented by: David Uhaze
June 2019 All Day Seminar
- NJ ASHE 797-800 presented by William M. Wagner
- 2019 HFMSNJ presented by Vincent Avenatti
- Infection Control for Facility Managers presented by Sylvia Garcia-Houchins
March 2019 — Presented by Gary Giovinazzo, John DiGirolomo, Oscar Gonzalez and Moderator – Hank Schuurman
February 2019 — Presented by Michael A. Pomarico, Architect NCARB ASHE
June 2018 — Presented by Kenneth A. Monroe
March 2018 — Joint Commission Updates
- Joint Commission updates March 2018 HFMSNJ meeting
- NFPA 99 ASHE_Risk_Assessment_Tool.xlsx
- SC14-46 Power Strips in Patient Care Areas
- The NJ Carbon Monoxide Code and your Hospital
February 2018 — Presented by: Gary Giovinazzo CHFM, CHEP, CHSP, SASHE
- Waterborne Pathogens
- CDC Legionella on the rise
- Cooling Tower Inspection Checklist
- Cooling Tower Preventive Maintenance schedule
- Daily Cooling Tower Inspection Checklist
- NJ Cooling Tower Bill
November 2017 — Presented by: David Uhaze
October 2017 — Handouts from monthly meeting
June 2017 — Handouts from panelists at the 2017 All Day Seminar
- 2017 Updates – The Joint Commission – Presented by George Mills
- Emergency Preparedness – Presented by Dan Chisholm
March 2017 — The Real Story About Fire Doors
February 2017 — Handouts and useful forms from panelist on the Joint Commission in our February meeting
- Ball in the wall staff huddle sheets
- HUP Cylinder Safety Alert final np 2016
- SHNMC Maint17021610530
- TJC Document Review Checklist
- TJC Document Review Checklist
January 2017 — Presented by: Jim Krochune – American Plant Maintenance NEHES, AFE, AEE, MS Business Mgmt
November 2017 — Presented by Dave Uhaze – Retired Director -DCA
October 20, 2016 — Presented by: Daniel Blascovich, PE from Schneider Electric
September 15, 2016 — Presented by: Matthew Klewin from NJ DEP
June 23, 2016 — Presented by: Anne M. Guglielmo, CFPS, CHFM, CHSP, LEED AP — Department of Engineering — The Joint Commission
April 21, 2016 — Presented by:Mark Dougherty, FACHE — Director of Sales Blue Pillar, Inc.
- The Business Case for Distributed Energy in Healthcare
Sponsored by: Blue Pillar, Inc.
January 21, 2016 — Presented by:Paul G. Baillargeon, AHC, FDAI from Door Security and Safety Foundation
- Inspecting Swinging Fire Doors with Builders Hardware
Sponsored by: Nolan M. Thrope from ALLEGION
November 19, 2015 — Presented by: Mr. David B. Uhaze, RA, Former Chief – Bureau of Construction Project Review, NJ Dept. of Community Affairs and Vice Chairman – FGI Health Guidelines Revision Committee
- Healthcare Facilities Design: What’s New, What’s Coming
Sponsored by: Follett Ice, Inc. — Mr. Ed Cichewicz — 877-849-9221
October 15, 2015 — Presented by: Mr. Patrick Lorimer from “Partner Engineering and Science, Inc. “ and Mr. Mario Santos, CHFM, Regional Director, Saint Barnabas Health: Monmouth Medical Center.
- New 2015 ICRA Safety Management
Sponsored by: William F. Savino, District Account Manager for “Nalco” – 908-200-7631
September 17, 2015 — Presented by: Mr. Mark E. Bruley, CCE — Vice President, Accident and Forensic Investigation– “ECRI Institute”
- Surgical Fire Prevention
Sponsored by: AQUIS Solutions — Frances MacCarrigan, Director Northeast Region — 609-268-1036
May 21, 2015 — Presented by: FBI Special Agent, Mr. Scott R. Nawrocki, WMD Coordinator
- Active Shooter Presentation
Sponsored by: Insurance Restoration Specialists, Inc.
April 16, 2015 — Presented by: Dan Chisholm Sr., Emergency Power Consultant/Designer, MGI Consulting, Inc.
- Staying Ahead of the Sandy Curve
Sponsored by: Tremco Inc.
March 19, 2015 — Presented by: John Calcagno, Sales Engineer from the Carrier Company
- How a Chiller Plant Criteria Affects a Building
Sponsored by: Carrier Company
February 18, 2015 — Presented by: Janna Cohen from Barclay Water Management, Inc.
- ASHRAE 188P – Legionella Risk Management for Building Water Systems
Sponsored by: Leo DiFonzo from IRS Restoration, Inc.
November 20, 2014 — Presented by: Dave B. Uhaze, RA — Chief – Bureau of Construction Project Review NJ Dept. Of Community Affairs & Vice Chairman – FGI Health Guidelines Revision Committee
- Health Facilities Design — An Overview of the Code Requirements
Sponsored by: KONE, Inc.
October 16, 2014 — Presented by: Tony Monaco and Dr. Richard M. Lynch, Ph.D, CIH
- FGI 2014 Guidelines For Design And Construction for Infection Control Risk Assessment (ICRA)
Sponsored by: Scales Medical Technologies, Inc.
October, 2014 — Presented by: Ms. Anne M. Guglielmo, Engineer for The Joint Commission — Courtesy of HFMADV
June 19, 2014 — ANNUAL ALL DAY SEMINAR
- The New 2014 FGI Guidelines – Presented by: Mr. Douglas S. Erickson, FASHE, CHFM, HFDP, CHC and President of Time, LLC
- The Healthcare Environment – Presented by: Ms. Anne M. Guglielmo, Engineer for The Joint Commission.
March 2014 — Presented and Sponsored by: Ron Bernard, Business Manager – Eastern Region, NSF Certified HACCP Manager, NALCO Environmental Hygiene Services.
February, 2014 — Presented and Sponsored by: Joseph O’Donnell, CBCP and Josh Blair, CBCP from Genesis Engineers, Inc.
January, 2014 — Presented by our HFMSNJ President, Henry K. Schuurman, CHC of Christian Health Care Center
September, 2013 — Presented by: Mr. Chris James, CSP from Snow and Ice Solutions, Inc.
June, 2013 — Presented by: Mr. Robert H. Bartels, CHFM, CHSP, CHEP, FASHE from Safety Management Services, Inc. (SMS)
April, 2013 — Presented by: WM Group Engineers and US Green Building Council of New Jersey.
Speaker: Hemant Mehta, PE
January, 2013 — Presented by: Robert Cuzzi and Andy Peck from VDA (Van Deusen & Associates)
June, 2012-by George Mills, MBA, FASHE, CEM, CHFM, CHSP, Director of Engineering, The Joint Commission
- The Healthcare Environment
by William E. Koffel, P.E., FSFPE, President, Koffel Associates, Inc.
- NFPA 25: Standard for Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance of Water Based Fire Protection Systems
February, 2012 — by Joe Cassata, Cannon Design
January, 2012 — by Hank Schuurman, CHC, Vice President Facilities Management, Christian Health Care System
November, 2011 — by David B.Uhaze, RA, Chief-Bureau of Construction Project Review, New Jersey Department of Community Affairs
August, 2011 — by David Stymiest and Dean Samet of Smith Seckman Reid, Inc.
- Life Safety Accreditation Challenges
- NFPA 110/111 – Proposals for the 2013 Editions
- Preparing for Surveys & Continuous Compliance
- Transitioning from Construction to Operations & Regulatory Compliance
March, 2011 — by Paul King, Principal Environmental Specialist
- Hospital Waste and the RCRA Regulations – An Inspector’s Viewpoint
- Potential Hazardous Waste Pharmaceuticals
- Top 5 RCRA Tips for Hospitals
February, 2011 — by Dave Dagenais, BS, SASHE, CHFM, CHSP
January, 2011 — by McNamara & Associates, Inc.
November, 2010 — by Dave Uhave of NJ DCA
October, 2010 — by Sally Roslow of NJHA
September, 2010 — by Scott Voelkerding, PE Senior Fire Protection Engineer of URS Corporation
- Fire Protection Design for Healthcare Facilities: Beyond Building Code Compliance
March, 2010 — by Joe Santo of the Birdsall Services Group
November, 2009 — by David B.Uhaze, RA, Chief-Bureau of Construction Project Review, New Jersey Department of Community Affairs
October, 2009 — Presentation to the New England Healthcare Society of Engineers conference by Joseph A Glaski,CHFM
June, 2009 — All Day Seminar by George Mills, MBA, FASHE, CEM, CHFM, CHSP Senior Engineer SIG and Doug Erickson,FASHE, CHFM, Deputy Executive Director for the American Society for Healthcare Engineering
- Guidelines for NJ HO
- The Physical Environment — Overview Environment of Care Life Safety Chapter Emergency Management Q & A
- NFPA 99 – 2010 Edition
May, 2009 — by Linden E. Witherell, Esq. PE, MPH Environmental Health Services
April, 2009 — by Mr. Michael Yarnell, Compliance Assistance Specialist, OSHA
- Healthcare Facilities Role in Disaster Preparedness
- April 2009 OSHA Mini 10 Hour Training Course Power Point Presentation
- April 2009 OSHA Respiratory Guidelines
February, 2009 — by Mr. Dan Chisholm
- On-Line Training; DNV and EPSS Design
- MGI Systems Healthcare Facilities Operations – On-Line Training
November, 2008 — by David B.Uhaze, RA, Chief-Bureau of Construction Project Review, New Jersey Department of Community Affairs
- Adopted National Model Codes
- Health Facility Construction Guidelines Editions
- Release of Work for Local Review
- History of National Codes Adoption Dates and Editions in NJ
- The Permit Extension Act of 2008
- Health Facilities Design – An overview of the latest changes in codes and standards
- AIA Guidelines 2006 – Overview of revisions
May, 2007 — by Anthony Monaco, Environmental Specialist, New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services
April, 2007 — by Mike Levy, OSHA Region 2, VPP Manager
- Achieving Safety Excellence Through the Voluntary Protection Program (VPP)
- Safety and Health Programs
March, 2007 — by Dan Chisholm