Please join us
for the next meeting of the
Healthcare Facilities Management Society of New Jersey.
|Date:||Apr 19, 2018|
|Place:||The Galloping Hill Inn
|Time:||4:00 PM Social Hour
5:00 PM General Meeting
Regular H.F.M.S.N.J. business meeting occur on the third Thursday of the month.
Directions to meetings at The Galloping Hill Inn:
The location is at The Galloping Hill Inn, 1085 Galloping Hill Rd, Union, NJ. Tel. 908.686.2683. Take the Garden State Parkway exit 138 (Kenilworth). Head east towards Union. You can also look for the big blue "H" (hospital) signs towards Union Hospital. Go for about 1/2 mile and look to turn left at SALEM Rd. by the MOBIL gas station. And then a quick left into the Galloping Hill Inn. (Don't confuse the one-story burger stand by Chestnut st. with the same name.) The meeting hall is a two-story building with plenty of parking. Click here for a local map.
The format is typically:
- Social Hour from 4 to 5 PM, at which time the sponsor displays his wares and information and of course, the members and guests mingle and have a good time exchanging stories and business cards.
- At 5PM, the regular business meeting starts. There is an educational presentation of topics of interest to the membership that runs from 45 minutes to an hour. The meeting is usually over soon after 7PM.
See you there!
We need sponsors for social hours of this year's meetings. We try to have (2) per meeting. This gives a vendor a chance to set up a table for the social hour and meet our membership. Any one interested can contact Gary Giovinazzo at (718)801-0713.
Joint Commission eliminates Plans for Improvement
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has asked the Joint Commission to make several changes to its Statement of Conditions process, and the Joint Commission will no longer consider hospital Plans for Improvement (PFIs) starting August 1. Instead, all life safety deficiencies will need to be corrected within 60 days, although a time-limited waiver process will be available through CMS regional offices. George Mills, MBA, FASHE, CEM, CHFM, CHSP, director of engineering with the Joint Commission’s Department of Engineering, announced the major changes at the ASHE Annual Conference.
Under the new process:
- Deficiencies will need to be corrected within 60 days of being identified unless the CMS regional office approves an extension.
- All requests for extensions will be handled by CMS regional offices. However, the Joint Commission will allow facilities to submit requests and receive a receipt to show they are in the pipeline waiting for an extension.
- The Joint Commission will not review open Plan for Improvement (PFI) items, and PFIs will not be a part of final reports.
The changes will be effective August 1, Mills said. The Joint Commission is an accrediting organization that has deemed authority from CMS and must meet CMS requirements. Mills said the PFI process can still be used as an internal management process.
ASHE will continue to keep members updated about this important change.
ASHE ANNOUNCES LEVELS OF AFFILIATION AWARD RECIPIENTS
ASHE has announced that the Healthcare Facilities Management Society of New Jersey has been awarded "Platinum Level" status for its participation in ASHE’s “Levels of Affiliation” program. ASHE’s Platinum Level of Affiliation award is ASHE's highest level of chapter recognition.